Good evening dancers!
Well isn’t this exciting? Not only has the new SUBLDS year got off to a flying start, but this is our first exclusive news update! We are proud to present you lovely readers with the first news blog worldwide to ever be published by aquatic mammals. Take that glass ceiling!
It’s been a pretty eventful couple of weeks. Ginger and I have been rushed off our feet with the new intake of dancers (and they’re all fabulous). The bunfight was a huge success. The committee worked their tushes off all day handing out flyers and chatting to everyone that passed. Whilst our dear President is a little fuzzy on exact numbers (worrying for an engineer … ) we had circa 200 sign ups to our mailing list. A few SUBLDS veterans performed some incredible demos to pull in the newbies. Massive thanks to Nikki and Emma for their cha/jive and Hannah and Elliot for their rumba/jive. If you’re a beginner reading this, I’m going to assume their efforts paid off!
Soon after came the taster sessions! We had an amazing turn out this year with loads of new faces at both the beginner and improvers sessions.With the help of some lovely assistants, our instructor Mark delivered some brilliant waltz/cha cha cha lessons. We also had some amazing demos from some SUBLDS veterans (thanks to including Gareth Ward and Emma Nottingham, Fergus O’Neill and Kirsty Mackay, Micah King and Jess Taylor) as well as some stunning salsa demos from SalsaSoc. Ginger and I were watching in awe at some of the talent that shimmied through the Glen Eyre hall on both evenings. And of course, you all had the pleasure of being introduced to myself and Ginger during announcements. We were glad to put a face (and a tail) to the names.
It was a delight to see so many of you return for classes after the free taster, and we are looking forward to seeing more of you over the course of the year.
However, there is no rest for the wicked, and there is plenty more to come over the next few weeks, so here are some key notices from the committee and some dates to get in the diary!
- First social of the year! Be there or be square!
- Where? Popworld
- Dress code? Something beginning with the first letter of your name (Ginger keeps going on about a Garibaldi biscuit costume) There will be prizes for the best costumes!
- We’ll be meeting at 19.30 in Bar Three in SUSU for drinks and ice cream before heading down to Popworld
- Southampton Friendly – Saturday 7th November at Richard Taunton 6th Form College
- Improver/Intermediate partnering – Wednesday 21st October in Glen Eyre at 19.00
- There will be a session for beginners interested in competing announced in class!
- If it’s any incentive, there is a long standing tradition of pizza at the end of the comp.
- MEMBERSHIP AND PRICES
- Membership is now available to buy in class. It’s £25 and it’s for life! If you purchase membership at the SUSU box office, bring the receipt to class as proof so we can get you on the list!
- Class prices:
- £4 non members
- £3 members
- £2 committees of other dance societies (bring proof you are a committee member)
- Don’t forget, if you’re not on the mailing list, get in touch and you’ll be added!
All that remains to say is follow this blog. You’ll get an email notification every time we post an update. Keep an eye out for Ginger’s first feature at the end of the month.
Don’t forget to follow SUBLDS on twitter (@sublds), come find SUBLDS on Facebook, and check out the website at www.sublds.co.uk.
And of course remember to ……